Sunday, September 20, 2026

PROGRESS REPORT: WEEK ENDING SEPTEMBER 19, 2026

MANUSCRIPT REVIEW TIME!
 At this point I have written over 50,000+ words while completing the first 27 chapters of what will be HUGH MONN, PRIVATE DETECTIVE's prequel novel PRIVATE BATTLES to restart the series once I have acquired a new publisher.

No word from that magazine yet concerning the HUGH MONN short story I submitted for consideration.

Based upon my hand written notes the novel is about to enter the "final act", where all the pieces come together as the mystery is solved and the culprit(s) revealed before facing justice.
But before I start writing those last chapters, I need to go back and reread the previous 27 to make sure everything is in place and all the clues are there.

Growing up, I've always enjoyed the "fair play" mysteries and detectives like Ellery Queen more than any other.
You discover the clues when they do and while your solution may not be the right one, it was always a question of misinterpreting something instead of the detective having specialized knowledge in a particular field that is vital to the outcome of the mystery but isn't shared with anyone until revealing who did what.

Plotting, so to speak
Regardless of what I'm writing, I do plot out my stories to a point.
Especially the mysteries where you have to make sure everything makes sense, all the suspects are accounted for at any given moment and the solution is viable even if the clues present other possibilities.

However, my plots are not so rigidly strict that if another idea arises while I'm writing that I can't use it.
My plots are more like points on a map for a leisurely road trip that still allows for alternate destinations along the way if an interesting attraction appears.

But to resume that journey I better get back to writing reviewing the manuscript now.
Take care.
STAY SAFE!
Have a great week and I'll see you around the Internet.

Lee Houston, Junior
20 September, 2026


No comments:

Post a Comment