Sunday, September 30, 2018

SOAPBOX TIME (SEPTEMBER 30, 2018)

Normally at this point on my writing blog, I post some commentary about how my writing progress is going on whatever project(s) I'm involved with at the moment.
To honor that tradition, things are going well with HUGH MONN, PRIVATE DETECTIVE, BOOK 3: FEMME FATALE.

HOWEVER...
I need to dedicate the majority of this post today to talk about something more personal, so just let me dig out my old soapbox to stand on and...

It will be one year ago tomorrow that the Houstons lost my mother/dad's wife.

There have been many comments and observations throughout time about a parent outliving a child which, with all the violence and other ills of the world, is becoming more common place than it should be!

Yet, depending upon the specific circumstances in each individual case, there isn't much said about the child outliving the parent, since that is supposed to be the natural order of life.

Barbara Houston passed away the afternoon of October 1, 2017; less than a day shy of her 79th birthday and a little over a month short of her 60th wedding anniversary!

To say that my father was devastated would be a serious understatement.
I certainly wasn't expecting the phone call that he made to give me the news. Besides, any time someone starts a phone call with "Are you sitting down?" is definitely an ill omen.

Long time readers of both this blog and/or The Free Choice E-zine know that I suspended all work on both sites until after I returned from the funeral.
Even then, it took me a while to get back into what passes for a "regular" routine.

Time might heal all wounds, but no one has ever stated just how much time must elapse to overcome a specific injury.
There is much I could add to the above, but doing so would betray a lot of private confidences between myself and Barbara Houston's surviving kin.
Suffice to say, my dad is getting better, yet there isn't a day that goes by that some thought of his late wife doesn't cross his mind.

We, as human beings, deal with grief in a multitude of ways.
I AM A WRITER, and I will continue to write.

But probably not tomorrow.

Lee Houston, Junior
30 September, 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment