Sunday, July 10, 2016

PROGRESS REPORT: WEEK ENDING JULY 9, 2016

NO MATTER HOW GREAT THE WORDS ARE,
I'M STILL ONLY HUMAN.

I was making the final proofread of my Sherlock Holmes story before sending it on to my friendly neighborhood beta/proofreader when I found a drastic mistake.
I gave Holmes the wrong solution!
In a lot of mystery stories, there are usually two possible solutions.
The "almost" and the "totally correct" one.

Ellery Queen on TV, circa 1975
Ellery Queen, another fictional detective, was famous for this.
Someone else, usually either his father Inspector Queen or a rival thought they had the solution to the mystery, only for Ellery to provide the correct answer to the enigma.
In my case, I accidentally gave Sherlock Holmes the "almost" solution and Inspector Lestrade the "totally correct" one.
Definitely would not cast the famous Victorian Era Consulting Detective in a good light, would it?

Found where I made the mistake(s) laying the clues and am correcting the situation now.
Hope to have the story finished and finally off to my beta/proofreader this week.
But, considering how late it is as I post this, I'll get a fresh start on the project Monday.

Take care, and I'll see you around the Internet.
Lee Houston, Junior
10 July, 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment