Sunday, February 16, 2014

PROGRESS REPORT: WEEK ENDING FEBRUARY 15, 2014 (Alternative title: What takes so long?)

So how is everyone?

Depending upon where you live, the weather hasn't been all that great of late, so I've been using the time cooped up indoors, when I'm not trying to stay warm (a never ending battle in the middle of winter!) to finish that short story that suddenly gained a deadline.

Now, I'll be the first to admit that I've been working on that since early January, and I'm sure some folks are wondering why it apparently takes so long to write a 10,000 to 15,000 tale?

First off, every writer is different. For say, Walter B. Gibson, the man who wrote 287 out of the original 325 Shadow novels, especially back when the title was bi-weekly(!), a short story like this probably would have been only a day or two's work at the most for him.

The average writer, if they're lucky, is able to put in two to three hours a day at their craft, when they're not tackling other creative matters (like promotions and books sales), let alone the more mundane issues of life like doing the dishes and the laundry.

But while I have always been more concerned with quality over quantity, I WILL be done with that short story this week!

The story will be sent on to its publisher then, and I'll be back at work on the manuscript to Alpha, Book 2: Wayward Son.

When I'm not taking care of my Editor-In-Chief duties at The Free Choice E-zine, or the dishes, or the laundry, or...
 
See you around the Internet!
Lee Houston, Junior
16 February, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment