Sunday, February 20, 2022

PROGRESS REPORT: WEEK ENDING FEBRUARY 19, 2022

TO NOIR, OR NOT TO NOIR...

At the moment I am still working on my anthology story.

Have entered the third act, starting to approach the climax, and am 6,100+ (out of an 8,000 to 10,000 word limit) into the story.
As usual, I can't say more about the overall project because I'm an invited guest and not sure what I can or can't reveal about it.
Yet why is such a relatively short project taking so long?
Because I've never fully worked in the Noir genre before.

The official definition of NOIR is: "a genre of crime film or fiction characterized by cynicism, fatalism, and moral ambiguity."
My working thought on the subject was: "Think of a cross between the classic Rod Serling Twilight Zone and the original half hour soap opera version of Dark Shadows but hold the monsters."
However you look at it, the style dates back to around World War 2, if not earlier, with such classics as The Maltese Falcon, Sin City, Vertigo, The Untouchables, classic pulps like The Shadow and so much more.
I may have had noir moments in some of my past projects but this is the first time I've gone full noir from start to finish.
Besides, I've always tended to look more at the bright side of life. 😎
The glass is half full, not half empty. Every cloud has a silver lining. There's always hope, etc.

In any event, I need to get back to my writing now.
Take care.
STAY SAFE!😷
And I'll see you around the Internet.

Lee Houston, Junior
20 February, 2022


No comments:

Post a Comment