Sunday, July 23, 2017

PROGRESS REPORT: WEEK ENDING JULY 22, 2017

IT'S STILL A QUESTION OF QUALITY OVER QUANTITY

Once again I spent the past writing week in the 1970s, working on my story for Jim Beard's project; when I wasn't trying to flesh out a new idea that has been running through my mind for some time now and wouldn't leave me alone until I did.

There are times when I wish I was a more proficient writer, at least from a quantity perspective, because there is so much I want to do just within the immediate future.

*Finish my 1970s story.
*Proofread the other contributor's 1970s stories as they are submitted.
*Finish what will become HUGH MONN, PRIVATE DETECTIVE, BOOK 3 for Pro Se Press.
*Finish the short story I promised Nancy Hansen so long ago.
*Create another Sherlock Holmes, Consulting Detective story for Ron Fortier at Airship 27. The first one I wrote is (tentatively) scheduled for Volume 11 of that series, with Volume 9 being the latest release as I post this progress report.
*At least begin what will become PROJECT ALPHA, BOOK 3 before the end of this year.
*Eventually start work on the book that will feature the new idea mentioned above.
*And so much more.

Thankfully, only the 1970s project has any true deadline(s), which is why I'm concentrating on that first. While it might goeth before a fall, I take great pride in the fact that I have never missed a deadline, and I don't intend to start now.

I know that there are only so many hours in a day.
One must rest, eat, do household chores, honor other life commitments, keep doctor's appointments, and so much more.
Just this coming week, there are errands Monday and Friday, with Tuesday probably a lost cause on the writing front.

I do try to write every day, and when I'm "in the zone", it's a marvelous feeling.
The words and thoughts are coming faster than my hands can type, and I have never been a great typist to begin with.😉
But how many words are recorded at the end of a writing session, let alone how many stay after I proofread any specific passage varies.

It's the age old battle. "Quantity versus Quality".
Do you want it done fast or do you want it done right?
In the end, I will always choose quality over quantity, because I want my creative endeavors to be the best I can make them.
It may sound selfish, but in the long run, I not only want my writing to be enjoyed and loved by its readers and fans, but I also would like to see my stories live on long after I have shuffled off this mortal coil to whatever lies hidden beyond the veil.

So, if I'm going to accomplish that goal, I better get back to writing now.
Take care.
Lee Houston, Junior
23 July, 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment