Sunday, January 29, 2017

PROGRESS REPORT: WEEK ENDING JANUARY 28, 2017

PLANNING AHEAD

Last week as you'll recall, I reported having to set aside the 20,000+ word story I was originally
working on for HUGH MONN, PRIVATE DETECTIVE: BOOK 3 because it wasn't turning out right.
Well, I did figure out what was wrong with that tale.
I was too far ahead in Hugh's time line!

While I plan Hugh more on a caper by caper basis, compared to my Project Alpha series (which has the superhero's adventures loosely plotted until at least Book 7), I do have a general idea of what I want to see happen to the title character over the course of the next several years.
The story currently on hold was actually a tale I should tell later than where things are in Hugh's life at the moment.
Having an idea of what happens to a character down the road isn't a bad thing, but even accidentally trying to tell his life story–so to speak–out of sequence is.

So where does that leave us, and Hugh, now?
Writing on Book 3 has resumed and the first chapter of the new story is done and with my friendly neighborhood beta/proofreader Nancy Hansen for review.
I still have the same basic unanswered questions I did when working on the original story:
"How long will this adventure be?"
"Will I need at least another tale if this one falls short of being novel length?"
and "What do I call it?"
But I'm not worried about finding those answers.
Yet.

Books 4 and 5 are now also roughly plotted out, with the unfinished story that needs fixing now slated for the fifth book.
I can hear the readers now asking such questions as:
"Why so far down the road?"
"What happens in Book 4? Let alone in Book 3?"
Afraid you folks will just have to wait and see.

For now, I better get back to writing.
Take care everybody!
Lee Houston, Junior
29 January, 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment