Sunday, October 11, 2026

PROGRESS REPORT: WEEK ENDING OCTOBER 10, 2026

 The HUGH MONN, PRIVATE DETECTIVE prequel novel PRIVATE BATTLES is still under review before I write the concluding chapters of that mystery adventure.

For those who came in late...
HUGH's original publisher folded and closed shop in 2025.
As part of trying to find a new home for the Private Detective of the Far Flung Future, I am writing a new novel explaining his backstory and how he acquired his Private Detective's license before the start of representing the existing material that will be reworked into new and better novels inbetween writing other new HUGH mysteries since I will (presumably) have a higher word count to work with at a new publisher.

Part of the current review process is to make sure all my clues are in place before HUGH solves the mystery involved.
Another part is to... unterse myself, so to speak.
The past publisher demanded everything be between 60,000 to 65,000 words.
Most publishers nowadays are looking for a minimum of 80,000.

Then again, it's not just a question of adding words per se, but adding the right words.
Case in point...
The following is from when HUGH is remembering being caught by a Cryobomb blast,

"The blast cut a chip off the upper corner of my icy prison as I took aim with my free hand, hoping to target the enemy when he came out to take another shot at us."

That's okay, but untersing myself and adding a few more words when necessary in this case meant adding a touch more detail to the scene. To wit...

"The blast cut a chip off the upper corner of my icy prison that thankfully didn’t contain any part of me as I took aim with my free hand, hoping to target the enemy when he came out to take another shot at us."

See what I mean?
Not too many words overall, but not any additional words just for the sake of adding words either.
And all of them do add up over time because I'm about to break the 52,000+ word mark.

But I still have a long way to go to finish reviewing what I've already written so I can work on the rest of the novel, which means I better get back to writing now.

Take care.
STAY SAFE!
Have a great week and I'll see you around the Internet.

Lee Houston, Junior
11 October, 2026


No comments:

Post a Comment